21 replies to this topic

#1 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 11:50 PM

I'm sure some of you are aware that the server can definitely use some advertising. I've been talking about advertising on a few locations like imgur or instagram and I intend to this week.

There are a lot of awesome things I can say about the server. Probably too many for some forms of advertisement (like twitter). However, I can use your help! I want to know what things you guys think are some of the best/most important/special things about the server. Whether it's all of the fixes, all of the hats, the community, etc., whatever you think other players should know about the server!

I'll be happy to take short blurbs, bullet points, testimonials, whatever you guys want to send my way.
Thanks!

Edit: sorry if any of this was poorly worded or hard to understand. I'll edit anything that needs it in a little bit, I only had a few moments to write it lol

Edited by penciltea, 21 July 2015 - 11:56 PM.

#2 Scias

Scias

Hell Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:07 AM

PM'd
  • penciltea likes this

#3 Psor

Psor

Hunter Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:16 AM

Updated content, hats, stability, no OP cash shop (maybe with exception of 2-3 items and even then there're lot of ways to get coins). Use this. You can't promote server with PvP/WoE because firstly, sadly it doesn't exist there right now, secondly, most of PvP oriented people are either on pre-re, or seek for servers which offer fast way to PvP in form of high rates or guild packages. To lure such players you'd have to make tons of stuff which would change a lot on the server and prepare for shitstorm on forums, because these kinds of players are the most vocal.

Ask players how do they usually find the server to play. You have to look for sites on which people promote servers, guilds which jump from server to server together whenever there's drama or server death, you can also try to look for some multi-games guilds, those guys who play together, but in various games, usually such creations have fucktons of members with sections dedicated to certain games. Track down those info canals and throwsome lelkaRO stuff at them.

Also Mami best magical girl.

#4 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:31 AM

@Scias -- I got your PM and replied accordingly. Thank you! :D

@Psor --

OMG ANOTHER MADOKA FAN 8D /inner spazzfest

At any rate, thank you very much for the suggestions! I'll definitely make sure to keep that in mind. I've been advertising on the /RagnarokOnline, /mmo, and /mmorpg subreddits, trying not to be too spammy. I'm actually really rather surprised with how negative and harsh the community is of the RO subreddit. It honestly had taken me back at first. The other subreddits have been rather receptive, so I'll see about other gaming/MMO related subreddits and similar communities. I've also been posting on twitter and I'll be making some imgur posts soon-ish. 

Your point of asking other players where they find servers to play on is actually a great point. Also the guild/gaming groups. I'll have to do some research c:

Thank you again~

Edited by penciltea, 22 July 2015 - 01:31 AM.

#5 Terpsichore

Terpsichore

why

• The Devil
  • 1041 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:47 AM

One thing to consider is that I absolutely do not want to see any sort of false advertising or misinformation. While that's pretty much the norm as far as private server scene goes, it isn't going to happen here.

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

my live is potato

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 140 posts
  • Location- Underneath the earth like a wild potato

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:18 AM

Terpy, how about you send a newsletter to all the e-mails registered in LeikaRO.

That newsletter may contain info about new contents and changes made to classes, etc.

Maybe some players might come back!
  • Sinon likes this

#7 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:34 PM

Misrepresentation of any sort is something I will definitely avoid. It's not fair to the server and staff, the players here, or to potential new players.

A newsletter isn't a bad idea, but I wonder if people may view it as spam and/or dislike it? Still, it's something worth considering for sure.

#8 Psor

Psor

Hunter Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 01:46 AM

Buy some customer e-mail database from some hacker and send emails to millions of people.

#9 Syncope

Syncope

MUH BUTTERFLY WINGZZZZ

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 06:33 AM

Psor has a full time job at reddit
  • Scias and Innomite like this

#10 Leon

Leon

Chonchon

• Player
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

I agree about advertising, I have some suggestions to say, ern .. before that I mean the server is very good now, but we dont have people playing and this is worrying.

1 - Tip: It is an advertising + re-opening, it can bring people back, we have new players coming to the server, but they eventually quit.

2 - Tip: is a reboot and shut the server for a while + advertising, it makes people curious and want to play (I think this a good idea because in the past the players exploited bugs like the WL and this would be a good opportunity to balance things, not to mention other bugs that no longer exist)

Well I hope I have contributed to improving the server, because leaving things as they are will only bring death Server and that we do not want.

One last thing we know that the staff is working to reverse this situation, I just did not want to stand idly by watching the server that I love die, so I suggest those things.

#11 Terpsichore

Terpsichore

why

• The Devil
  • 1041 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

To be honest there wasn't any bug gamebreaking enough to warrant a reset, the little issues that had happened, were dealt with and cleaned up. Things are very stable and well maintained right now and the amount of bugs is nearly non-existent when compared to any other server. Economy is also in a good spot from a technical point of view since preemptive measures were taken against zeny inflation and there's a large amount of viable gear that promotes farming and trading.

We also haven't destroyed economy with stuff like Bubblegums, Bloody Branches, WoE/Vellum gear, free consumables/materials and poor PvM like it tends to happen.

Another thing to consider is that old players that might want to come back would be discouraged since all their stuff gone, more so when there wasn't any sound reason for the reset to happen.

I've had largely positive feedback from both newcomers and old players that stayed but the mass hysteria and doomsaying caused by some people that quit is still lingering and needs to go. The attitude of "I'll wait until the population becomes huge before playing again" isn't helping either, we're stuck in a vicious cycle of sorts right now, where people join, like it but quit because the population is low. I can't force them to stay but if they did, population would naturally begin to rise again.

As for advertising, the most effective way nowadays is the word of mouth, which is in the hands of players.

• Siobhan and Salad like this

#12 Suri

Suri

Steel Chonchon

• Player
  • Pip
  • 74 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

Good initiative penciltea! Could you share with us the links where you've been advertising? It would be good for us as members to support what you've done with comments or sharing with other people.

Also from my understanding, there's many players that have come to the this server because:
1.- They were previously players of CookieRO or VelvetRO.
2.- Found out about the server through RMS.

Now, is nice to have old mates joining LeikaRO, but when it comes to advertising I would suggest to invest time in popular media (such as Twitter, FB and among others) that would target a new audience that is willing to have a new gaming experience. And please... target younger-fresher audiences, since the old-one are busier with their grown-up life (we still love you all).

About RMS, it would be very helpful to reinforce it with new reviews that demonstrates the credibility of Leika's standards. So if you wrote a review 7-9 moths ago (these are long gone!) or you haven't submitted one.. don't wait for someone else to do it, your reviews will be greatly appreciated!

Last thing, I think I understand your point, Leon. What you might want to see is a renovated presentation of this server, and I think this is possible without throwing away the server's identity. I'll talk with penciltea about this and see if we can come up with something good and/or what manners can make our advertising successful.

Edited by Suri, 26 July 2015 - 10:12 PM.

#13 Salad

Salad

Steel Chonchon

• Player
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:30 PM

I agree about advertising, I have some suggestions to say, ern .. before that I mean the server is very good now, but we dont have people playing and this is worrying.

1 - Tip: It is an advertising + re-opening, it can bring people back, we have new players coming to the server, but they eventually quit.

2 - Tip: is a reboot and shut the server for a while + advertising, it makes people curious and want to play (I think this a good idea because in the past the players exploited bugs like the WL and this would be a good opportunity to balance things, not to mention other bugs that no longer exist)

Well I hope I have contributed to improving the server, because leaving things as they are will only bring death Server and that we do not want.

One last thing we know that the staff is working to reverse this situation, I just did not want to stand idly by watching the server that I love die, so I suggest those things.

While I can understand this, as within a few months LeikaRO has fixed so many bugs that change how the game is played (read: cheese) I don't think a server wipe is a good idea. A decent amount of people have complained about LeikaRO's drop rates in the past, as a lot of people (including myself) got a bit too used to years of midrates. The comforting thing is knowing your work will not disappear with a sudden server shutdown, and a reset would be too close to that. I think the thing that felt bad for players was that class bugs that affected balance were being done one class at a time, so it felt shitty for players when their class was "fixed" while others were running around for a few more weeks (warlock, homunculus S, etc.). They've all been fixed now, which is something that I don't think you'll see on any other renewal private server. Terpsichore has been working hard for months to catch any potential server ruining exploits, or exploits in general, so there isn't anything that warrants a server wipe. While so many renewal private server bugs have now been fixed that affect all classes (and balance) and a wipe may be tempting, what that really says is just how much the server has rapidly improved within just a few months. A wipe at this point would be because of past growing pains, and growing pains are part of every server.

#14 Scias

Scias

Hell Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 11:06 PM

Shutting the server temporarily would inevitably cause more harm than good. Advertising is the best idea though. I noticed this server is higher ranked than some with a higher population, which means we vote more and care about the server more than other people care about theirs. I'm a little out of the loop in terms of MvPs but if they still have problems that they had for a while (radical skill changes etc), that could put players off. Nerfed rangers may also put people off but in that case it is a worthy sacrifice. We don't want another RangerRO, and it is a good attempt (if an unsuccessful one) at keeping andora away from the server.
  • toko likes this

#15 Terpsichore

Terpsichore

why

• The Devil
  • 1041 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:26 AM

Nerfed rangers may also put people off but in that case it is a worthy sacrifice. We don't want another RangerRO, and it is a good attempt (if an unsuccessful one) at keeping andora away from the server.

There actually isn't anything nerfed about Rangers other than a very small WW set tweak to make people actually refine it. We even have that thing about Camouflage making you untargetable that never worked on private servers.

#16 Scias

Scias

Hell Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:08 AM

Ah yeah forgot other servers boost that ugly class rather

#17 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 04:07 AM

I blink and there have been posts! :O I'm happy to see this!

In regards to where I've been posting, I've been placing advertisements at the /ragnarokonline, /mmo, /mmorpg subreddits (mostly in answer to players' questions): 

Original advertisements: 

Reply advertisements: 

I've also been posting on my personal twitter various tweets, typically 1-2 times a day. My handle is BuffMeBitch (I ran a blog that focused on healer classes in MMOs), if any of you guys want to follow.

That being said, there's discussion of RMS. There's a relatively new, relatively low-traffic site that looks like it's going to be unofficial competition for RMS. It's www.midgard-community.com. I've been tweeting with them for a few days and I asked straight up if they plan to compete against or become the next RMS and they basically said they wanted to provide players with more options for finding servers, but that RMS hasn't really had much competition so it wouldn't hurt too badly, lol. The owner(s?) seem very friendly and it may be a good idea to jump on their bandwagon early. 

I know I keep saying I will post on imgur. I still plan to, I just.. get distracted >_>; If anyone wants to help collaborate on that (or anything else!) it'd be awesome! ^^ I wouldn't mind at all. I think there're also some FB communities that could be tapped into, but I've mostly been investigating twitter so far. And most of the relevant places are kinda dead, unfortunately.

• Innomite likes this

#18 Syncope

Syncope

MUH BUTTERFLY WINGZZZZ

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 01:07 AM

Seems like your advertisement has lured couples penciltea. Good job!

• penciltea likes this

#19 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 31 July 2015 - 05:48 AM

@Syncope - Thank you! c: I know of a few players who are also advertising the server and such, which is great.

I found a link to a gaming group site from the /mmorpg subreddit, http://findgamingbuddies.com/ . I intend to check them out in more detail over the weekend but if anyone wants to check it out and post there, feel free! :D

#20 Jess

Jess

Chonchon

• Player
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

How about players putting a lot of reviews on RMS through threads and stuffs??  /hmm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users