#1 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 11:40 PM

/ho STOP! In the name of love!  /ho

You've asked for it and we're delivering! Grab a couple of friends and prepare to test your strength and courage... For love! (Or not, we're not judging.) Forget the chocolates and the flowers, every valentine loves a good ol' fashioned brawl! In honor of Valentine's Day, we're going to be holding a PvP tournament: The War of the Roses!

Announcement 

Due to the lack of participants, we are postponing the tournament until we have more teams sign up. This means if you're interested but didn't have enough time to get a team together, you can still enter!

What you need to know

• Teams: 3v3s (GvG mechanics)
  • Time: TBD
  • Rewards: Epic stuff, of course! There will be special prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd places!
  • Consumables and catalysts: Will be provided for you (set amount per round based on class played plus pots)
  • Team captains must sign up either in-game (PM a staff member to sign up) or here on the forums! (IRC chat works as well)

Rules

• No buffs before the start of the matches and no buffing from outside sources
  • No hiding or running away on the map to avoid fighting
  • No mercenary scrolls or buff scrolls
  • Restocking between matches is allowed
  • There will be 3 minutes between rounds to allow restocking and the like. Make sure you prepare yourself accordingly
  • Players need to be ready to start on time; matches will not be delayed to wait for skill cooldowns or for people to get ready
  • No cheating will be allowed. All participants will be closely monitored and any cheating will be handled accordingly, including potential disqualifications

Streaming/Recording

Note: We would like to stream/record this event. All participants should be aware of this. Please let us know as soon as possible if you are not okay with being recorded. 

We will also have a commentator during the matches!

And remember, all is fair in love and war! Get ready to rumble!  

More details will be posted as the tournament draws near!  /awsm

• Sinon likes this

#2 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 12:02 AM

Team Rosters

Team 1

• Black
  • theycallmeLexii
  • Syncope

Team 2

• Omen
  • JuvenileDelinquent
  • Bite

#3 Syncope

Syncope

MUH BUTTERFLY WINGZZZZ

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 01:32 AM

Just gotta find one more person to complete my team hehe

#4 Salad

Salad

Steel Chonchon

• Player
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 07:19 AM

You're not saying whether or not it's PvP or GvG mechanics which makes a very big difference. Don't call it a PvP tournament if it's not going to be under PvP settings. Prizes for any sort of PvP tournament is also quick to ruin the whole thing with how people will go into it. The consumables and catalysts section needs to be clarified.

#5 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:42 PM

It's going to be GvG mechanics, sorry for the confusion. As for prizes, they haven't been decided on yet, so I can't comment on that just yet. Consumables and the like will be a set amount per round, based on the class played plus pots. Does that answer your questions? Let me know if there's anything else I can answer for you c:

• Rueska likes this

#6 philanthropy

philanthropy

Steel Chonchon

• Player
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:55 AM

need pvp please my flash combo?

#7 Donker

Donker

Oblivion>Neryth

• Player
  • Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 01:04 PM

hehe

hehe

#8 Hammertime

Hammertime

Steel Chonchon

• Player
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

@Salad stop nitpicking? Be happy that some1 is organizing something fun. PVP can be done under guild settings as well. Just saying I don't understand why you getting so mad over the naming.

I suggest the following
- just having good prizes and people bringing their own consumables honestly preparing your character should be part of the tournament (seems 2 slow 2 provide people with it unless you have an easy command that adds the full list of supplies to any char so u don't have to worry about it which is tedious with so many different classes).
- 2vs2 (don't think there is enough active people to have 3vs3 you would probably end up with max 4 teams if you are lucky if not shit like 2/3 teams, I could be wrong tho)

#9 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

I suggest the following
- just having good prizes and people bringing their own consumables honestly preparing your character should be part of the tournament (seems 2 slow 2 provide people with it unless you have an easy command that adds the full list of supplies to any char so u don't have to worry about it which is tedious with so many different classes).
- 2vs2 (don't think there is enough active people to have 3vs3 you would probably end up with max 4 teams if you are lucky if not shit like 2/3 teams, I could be wrong tho)

We're discussing the rules and such concerning consumables. We want to make sure things are fair for everyone involved and still enjoyable, too. Right now the rule is as it is, but that may change. If it does change, we'll let everyone know as soon as we can to make sure that everyone can prepare accordingly. 

We had some debate between 2v2s or 3v3s. To be honest, part of it was just seeing how many people we would have participating and such. I'm hoping to potentially run a monthly tournament, so this is the, er, "test run," so to speak. If there aren't enough people for this tournament to make it interesting/enjoyable, we can scale back the numbers next time, or if there are so many teams (which I hope eventually there will be), we could increase the numbers. Of course, I don't expect to run 5v5s or anything right now, or in the immediate future-- but it is a possibility, if we get a lot of people who are interested and like the tournament(s). Ultimately, we decided to do 3v3s based on the numbers of people we've seen in WoE/etc. recently. I've heard there have been 30-40+ people lately participating in WoE (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), so 3v3s didn't seem impossible. 

Of course, if the 3v3s seems too underwhelming and such, by all means, we're always open to suggestions and feedback. I've been keeping notes of what players tell me so that things in the future are smoother and such. Hopefully it'll be a good turn out and people will have fun. c:

• Syncope, Hammertime and Rueska like this

#10 Neryth

Neryth

never stop spinning

• Player
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 January 2016 - 11:09 PM

@Hammer, your suggestion for consumables just means a higher bar for entry & participation. If people are allowed to bring their own pots, certain people are going to be loaded up on +30 foods, cash shop consumables, and full/% heal items. By way of comparison, people not willing to pay and pot the same shit will be at a disadvantage so large that the matches would be laughable. Because special prizes based on ranking are being offered, it's pretty obvious that letting people do whatever they want with their consumables is going to have this result. Even with consumables being provided, I wouldn't trust people to not try to bring and pop their own stuff.

Organizing a decent PvP event takes a lot of work, planning, and research, and it also requires the organizer to be familiar and comfortable with PvP. It'd be kind of silly if whoever's in charge of the event didn't know enough to be able to determine what+how much classes "need", "want", and should actually get in terms of consumables. On a side note, a pretty obvious thing to add would be no prebuffs/buffs from outside classes.

Also, 3v3 under GvG means it's inevitable that two out of the three characters on each team will be Royal Guard and Sorcerer. RG can lock out almost all threats, and the only consistent way of breaking devo in GvG settings is Dispel (Sorc also simultaneously counters and contributes to stonewalling). The last slot is pretty obviously going to go to a damage class (Sura & Geneticist most likely candidates). The only variation that's really possible is fitting chaser in because lol manhole/bloody lust in extremely small scale PvP, but a competent Sorc actually locks them out as well.

I think 2v2 would be a little bit more interesting, and personally, I'd prefer Bo3.

Edit: also, 2v2 makes more sense cuz Valentines.

Edited by Neryth, 12 January 2016 - 11:24 PM.

#11 Psor

Psor

Hunter Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 12:33 AM

1. Make list of avaible gear

2. Make list of avaible consumables and allowed amounts, maybe make it cost "points" and give each team certain amount of points to gear up and get mats

3. Contact all the participants once you're done with signing up and ask them what classes and builds they want to play

4. Disable resetting char position in control panel for tournament duration

5. Create those chars,  put them on the map without exit or mail where tournament will be hosted and give away login/password to all participants

6. Start the event, record it or stream live

7. After everything is done, check if there were no leaks and no gear got out of the tournament and delete the chars

Here, have a recipe for "fair" pvp event. If you want to change passwords and other shit after every round or something, you can even use the same chars for different teams if they happen to want the same class.

#12 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:47 PM

@Neryth - You bring up a lot of valid points. In terms of consumables, yes, there definitely is a potential for a distinct gap between those who get the best and those who don't. The risk of having people try to sneak in their own stuff, should we provide for everyone, is also a possibility. I don't know what, just yet, we'll end up doing, but we'll definitely take these sort of things into account.

As for the organization of the event, yes, it does take a lot of work ahead of time and a lot of knowledge. I fully admit I'm not experienced with RO's PvP but I'm also not planning this event alone (thankfully!). I'll definitely use this as an opportunity to learn, myself. But the others that I'm working with on the planning and organizing aspects of this event have a lot of experience and such with PvP, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the lack of knowledge/etc. concerning this event.

As for 2v2s/3v3s, that is an interesting point. (And I didn't think about 2v2s for Valentine's Day!  /omg ) I haven't received any official sign ups from teams so far, and granted, it's only been a few days, and we're still a month out or so. But if we don't have many teams sign up soon, I will probably propose toning down to 2v2s, since it seems to be a somewhat popular suggestion. If that changes, it'll be announced over this upcoming weekend, so that everyone can prepare accordingly. I'm hoping to also finalize the rules concerning consumables/etc. this weekend, as well.

@Psor- I like the idea of the "points" system for the gear and mats, I think that's rather neat. The idea of having premade, tournament-exclusive characters isn't a bad idea, either, but I don't know if it would be reasonable to implement, depending on how many people we have signing up and such. Part of me also feels like this is a bit too... extreme? But I understand it's meant to give the most "fair" option for all players involved. Still, overall, it's an interesting suggestion, so thank you for that ^^

#13 Rueska

Rueska

ice ice baby

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:51 PM

There will probably be no other time than 17 server time? /wah
I guess it might be pretty problematic for the hosts, so I wouldn't be very surprised.

#14 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:15 AM

If you'd prefer another time, feel free to suggest it! We can probably work something out. C:

#15 Terpsichore

Terpsichore

why

• The Devil
  • 1041 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:44 AM

2v2 would be a joke though, 3v3 is the bare minimum.

#16 Hammertime

Hammertime

Steel Chonchon

• Player
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:14 PM

You guys are overcomplicating it with the gear list and shit. I don't want this to be tough on the GM team that's why i think providing yourself with pots is best, sorta like how you would prepare for WoE. If GM team can provide pots without it taking much effort on their side, by all means do it, I just see it tedious for them. U can just run the 3vs3 in KVM BG for starters. Best 2 out of 3. Double elimination. Something like that.

Either way I'm registering my team here 

- Black
- theycallmeLexii
- Syncope

Edited by Hammertime, 15 January 2016 - 06:29 PM.

• penciltea likes this

#17 penciltea

penciltea

Dragon Fly

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:47 PM

First team to register! -confetti-

We'll get the consumables situation sorted out this weekend so everyone can prepare accordingly. I think the main issue is that if it's up to the players, those with access to funds and such can relatively wipe the floor with the faces of those who can't. And then it becomes a sort of p2w situation. We have several ideas and such for this so we'll keep everyone up to date!

#18 Syncope

Syncope

MUH BUTTERFLY WINGZZZZ

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 12:54 AM

The thing is, everyone has access to every consumable. Terp made it even easier to acquire consumables and boosted the effects of alternative consumables. I don't really see the problem of just supplying our own.

#19 kolebludd

kolebludd

Chonchon

• Player
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 02:58 AM

This is supposed to be a skill and strategy tournament. Not who has the best gear and items or 500 yggberry they farmed for just this reason tourny. Stop saying you want to make this easier on the staff they took this on and i hope they were prepared to do this right. I honestly think a 4v4 or a 5v5 would be best so you can have diversity in the teams and way things are done. As far as rules and a good way to do this is. Set up 12 accounts with 175 chars of every class that way you have 2 doing battle and 2 in wait. In the wait room have All NPC's no cash shop no lekia gear no foods no yggs. You can have your npc's special made to hold certain gear's,potions ,consumables, cards.

As i wrote that to make things a little smoother and prevent time clenches, i would suggest 18 accounts. That way you have 6 in 6 out and 6 that can be getting purged of left over items equip stat and skill reset

#20 Hammertime

Hammertime

Steel Chonchon

• Player
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 03:44 AM

Berry has cooldown and anyone can farm it. It's very accesible. The only thing disable worthy is maybe fish-slice.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users