Photo

Psor and Cenel's monocled discussion of WoE matters.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#21 Wrestlemania

Wrestlemania

Chonchon

• Player
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 02:22 AM

Did someone mention Avalanche? Lets remove Cart Cannon and then tell me how good they were.

We were gonna move on to our new strategy of Comodo cards but you guys beat us to it.

#22 Hammertime

Hammertime

Steel Chonchon

• Player
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:34 PM

Did someone mention Avalanche? Lets remove Cart Cannon and then tell me how good they were.

@Psor. Also if you say Cookie WoE was garbage, you surely have not played WoE when Dynasty was around. We had 15 tops attendees per WoE yet our precast was hardly broken. I can send you replays if you want but it probably wont work since its from the old client. Everything back then was proper and organized so stop taking your walls of useless texts here, You dont know what youre talking about. As always.

Psor. This is the summary of your ro life along with sira's.

If I recall correctly positioning was about the one woe you played in Cookie not about these vids. And it was to get you to play WoE more frequently since you and sira always being forum warriors but never actually play.

Forum warrior 4ever. Only good at posting random long boring senseless shit. To make you even more mad, you do not know how to play sorc at all. Dont touch it again.

Right. Because we only ever won when Cart Cannon was insanely strong.  

No need to disrespect Avalanche. It had some of the more skilled individuals at the time, which really were ahead of the majority of the server. They surely had a good run in v1. Better run in v1 than in v2. However the competition was just plain horrible in v1, the majority of the players at the time was very unexperienced and casual about woe. Don't mean to take anything away from Avalanche though. 

#23 Terpsichore

Terpsichore

why

• The Devil
  • 1042 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:41 PM

I wouldn't call cookie WoE worthy of consideration, seeing how a guild of 3-4 people held the castles for months and overall it was about who could abuse the broken thing of the moment better as well as the usual zerging.

With properly implemented and balanced mechanics things will be very different.

#24 Scias

Scias

Hell Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 03:45 PM

Ah yes avalanche, the guild that plows through servers before madzerg turns up later to try to pick up the shredded remains.

#25 Lilsdelle

Lilsdelle

Chonchon

• Player
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:16 PM

lol so much heat already..

welpss this is fun *sit back n enjoy*

#26 Psor

Psor

Hunter Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 04:19 PM

Ah yes avalanche, the guild that plows through servers before madzerg turns up later to try to pick up the shredded remains.

Plot twist:

Spoiler

#27 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Kuruma

• Player
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:00 PM

Not about to go around and properly quote everything, but!

With the renewal emp being the way it is, 700 HP and plant based, and the way SE WoE works, any decent guild with a guild leader prepared to put up defensive structures can keep a "Empbreakfest" WoE from happening. After a castle is taken the first priority is to bring up the third barricade and to flush out anyone who might have speed potted into it with your own speed pots and boxes of sunlight.

A ranger shouldn't be able to stay alive at the emp for any amount of time whatsoever, and a simple SW protects the emp from a few autoattackers. After the third cades have gone up, you set up your defensive positions, and if anyone wants to get past the barricades they have to face you to get to them. You can stay there or you can try to push them back out to the second cades, whatever. I mean, this is basic SE. 

Yeah, they have a ton of mobility, that's cool, but they got kicked out of the castle and you're already inside the castle and have access to flags. 

The only reason the emp is traded back and forth is due to ineptitude at putting up defensive structures in my opinion. 

Especially in a setting where you argue the winning strategy is zerging, zerg guilds are prone to attacking each other when stopped by a barricade.

I've tried pre-re time and time again, and Conquest is fun and all, but nobody dies unless you have an entire guild focusing one character. That's not what I'm looking for.

On top of that, for me the fun in renewal is you have so many different skills available that work together in ways that are sometimes simply ridiculous, which is where the bug abusing accusations start rolling in.

For me, above all of the "X class is OP" "X skill is OP" accusations, I always saw renewal as more of a rock paper scissors game. Every type of attack had a way to become extremely powerful.

Physical, Ranged, Magic

For a quick list of examples from when I played:

A properly geared EDP CI-dancing GX, Guild setup Cart Cannon, fucking Chain Lightning or something.

Thankfully, back when I played on Cookie, there was literally 0 good DPS magic class users. Chris doesn't count.

So that leaves us with Pneuma/Neutral Barrier vs Safety Wall/Stealth Field

That's cool, you have a skill doing 7x7 ignore demi-reductions dealing over 50k damage per hit. I have a 3x3 skill that makes me immune to it.

(Speaking of, just yesterday we were on RedditRO. Our accounts were banned 10 minutes before WoE, and we held the castle against 9ish 175 players with a level 99 priest spamming pneuma for 41 minutes. Yeah it wasn't that many players attacking, and they were clearly all bad, but if we're really going to talk about balance, Pneuma is hands down the most overpowered skill in the game.)

What I'm trying to say is even though renewal might be a OHKO fest, I really hope the custom balancing here doesn't get to a point where you need 3~4 people to be able to kill any other single player. If it was up to me I'd join a server which wouldn't actually do custom balancing, but there's no renewal servers that are worthwhile anymore.

Edited by Outsideheaven, 19 September 2014 - 05:07 PM.

#28 Terpsichore

Terpsichore

why

• The Devil
  • 1042 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:14 PM

What I'm trying to say is even though renewal might be a OHKO fest, I really hope the custom balancing here doesn't get to a point where you need 3~4 people to be able to kill any other single player. If it was up to me I'd join a server which wouldn't actually do custom balancing, but there's no renewal servers that are worthwhile anymore.

That isn't our intention at all, we just want to tone down certain things are are way over the top and too easy to apply.

One example would be the new GX skill, which applies a debuff that makes you take 150% increased physical damage from all sources (this includes other players), by 150% I mean x1.5 damage taken, which is more than lex aeterna and stacks with it. What does such a skill add to gameplay? Nothing, you just get hit by it and die. So we reworked it to make the target take 25% increased damage from both physical and magical attacks and boosted up the duration a bit so now the skill is still extremely useful and makes focusing a target easier without being an outright death sentence. It's also useful in PvM since it works on bosses and with boosted duration there's actually room to take advantage of it, the difference is that it isn't a gigantic asura damage boost anymore and helps all classes.

#29 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Kuruma

• Player
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

That sounds reasonable. On the same topic, will these changes be voted on by the community or strictly controlled by the GM team? Also, will you be playing a legitimate character?

I have yet to see a single case where a community voting on something results in something positive in RO.

#30 Psor

Psor

Hunter Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:38 PM

Still barricades die to 1 or 2 hits of inspi RG. Really, either dmg needs to be nerfed which I was advocating for for some time already or barricades need to have their hp drastically increased.

#31 Hammertime

Hammertime

Steel Chonchon

• Player
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:43 PM

Still barricades die to 1 or 2 hits of inspi RG. Really, either dmg needs to be nerfed which I was advocating for for some time already or barricades need to have their hp drastically increased.

Good luck getting to the cade on insp RG vs a decent guild without losing the buff. Easy bloody lust. Easy Soulburn.

Also @that GX skill it doesn't even do much. It's single target spell with cooldown 30 to 1 minute.Why are you guys nerfing it already without even seeing how it plays out. It's not going to change the way the class is best played at all, so why change it?  I was really hoping for minimal tweaks honestly unless proven broken, but it seems you guys already nerfing aimlessly without even seeing how the meta is.

Edited by Cenel, 19 September 2014 - 05:53 PM.

#32 Psor

Psor

Hunter Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:49 PM

Good luck Blod Lusting all the RGs equally decent guild can have and having soul Burn fail and damage you instead. It's not about what will always work. There's always some factor we can call random. Besides inspi RG isn't the only class with retarded damage.You can OHKO barricade blocks with few classes and there's no way you can protect barricades from everything, especially that almost every class has AoE now.

#33 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Kuruma

• Player
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:55 PM

You set up a single player with a priest spamming Pneuma behind the cades, then you put up your whole guild in front of the cades trying to stop everything that comes at them. In order to destroy the cades they will have to be right next to the cades. We can't really discuss this kind of thing as there's always a way to adapt to new situations. And if you bring up SD I bring up it's hell-ish fixed cast, unless that got removed.

Edit:

Also, cades are healable. But yeah, increasing the HP on them wouldn't be an awful idea, easily one of the more balanced "custom changes" I could see happening. It'd even be fun seeing some people have BARRICADE BREAKING WEAPON/SETUP.

And isn't Insp a 5 minute cooldown? Unless we're facing an RG only guild here. Dat der banding.

Edited by Outsideheaven, 19 September 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#34 Psor

Psor

Hunter Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 05:58 PM

No, I bring up OHKOing block with Tetra Vortex because then no pneuma, LP or heal will help you. Killing WL hidden in guild mob while being devo'd should be that easy and should allow caster to get close enough to reach block with skill.

#35 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Kuruma

• Player
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:03 PM

99% sure you can even Kaite cades, so make your Pneuma priest dualclient a linker too. Though I'm not sure if each hit of TV counts as a separate attack. And I already thought of another way to reduce that damage too, but I don't feel like oversharing anymore. Renewal with its hundreds of skills always has a solution to everything. Except that one skill I refuse to mention by name.

Edited by Outsideheaven, 19 September 2014 - 06:05 PM.

#36 Psor

Psor

Hunter Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

It does. Otherwise switching during Tetra hitting would be useless.

#37 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Kuruma

• Player
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:08 PM

Right, again, no magic DPS players back in my days. Spin 2 win for days.

#38 Psor

Psor

Hunter Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:12 PM

I assumed we're talking about future. Spin got nerfed and most GXes switched classes or something because I saw just 2-3 then. I know one of them made aspd crit build and actuallyhit hard like a truck. Too bad probably we'll have iRO aspd formula again because it'll be so easy to reach 193 I'll be reaching it in pt with rangers and RGs with all the buffs on a sorc with 1 agi. Rip character building challenges.

#39 Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Kuruma

• Player
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:14 PM

Yeah I meant I don't have too much experience against competent WLs so I haven't thought about it too much. But when the time comes I'm sure we can think of something, or numerous somethings.

#40 Terpsichore

Terpsichore

why

• The Devil
  • 1042 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 06:18 PM

That sounds reasonable. On the same topic, will these changes be voted on by the community or strictly controlled by the GM team? Also, will you be playing a legitimate character?
I have yet to see a single case where a community voting on something results in something positive in RO.

There won't be voting but community is going to be consulted, of course input on topics such as WoE will only be taken into consideration from players that are actually knowledgeable and experienced.

As for myself, I'm not going to be doing "GM" work, just testing, compiling, fishing updates, balancing stuff, taking care of the forum and things like that. I don't want to involve myself deeper so I won't have an account with @commands since it always brings trouble no matter what you do. People are still accusing me of power abuse on old cookie when I never had access to @commands so it would only get worse.

Also @that GX skill it doesn't even do much. It's single target spell with cooldown 30 to 1 minute.Why are you guys nerfing it already without even seeing how it plays out. It's not going to change the way the class is best played at all, so why change it?  I was really hoping for minimal tweaks honestly unless proven broken, but it seems you guys already nerfing aimlessly without even seeing how the meta is.

It wasn't nerfed but rather changed to be more useful all around without adding more to the ohko equation. Either way, everything is subject to change.