16 replies to this topic

#1 CaptShunsui

CaptShunsui

Captain Shunsui

• Player
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:52 AM

Greetings Leika-dwellers!

Let me introduce myself. Me and my pal are completely new Ragnarok Online players coming from a different MMO background (I'll tell you his ID once he registers here tonight >.< ). Since we have some free time together, we decided to visit Ratemyserver forums and look for a new server that is similar to the Official one but more dynamic and interesting to play in. We both thought Leika would be a good place to settle in (interesting admins, lots of novel changes and several fixes to age old bugs).

I created a character last night but was too tired to actually do anything except wander a couple of maps and talk to a couple of people. And so today, I've been hopping around the forums reading a lot of posts. Lots of interesting stuff happening here - discussions on the ease of play, leveling and the implementation of certain unclear or unexplained nerfs/buffs; oh and of-course, whether or not the server is actually pay to win. :)

After reading through all the posts, I must say I'm intrigued. We thought we can have a lot of fun and help out the community a little (Hopefully) by doing a little work. From tonight onward, whatever we do inside the server will be noted down and narrated here on the forums. We might later compile them into a walk-through. We will be creating a thread in the forum and post our activities for every day we play. This might help the other new comers to know our failings and struggles of doing something wrong or our achievements when we learn something new. We will be capturing screenshots to highlight important events/moments as well.

Hope to see you all in game.

• Tesdey likes this

#2 Terpsichore

Terpsichore

why

• The Devil
  • 1042 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 11:16 AM

Huh, this actually sounds rather interesting, I'm looking forward to it.

Also, greetings!
  • CaptShunsui likes this

#3 Sylphid

Sylphid

Elementalist

• Player
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:28 PM

Heyo,

Nice to see someone completely new to Ragnarok! I assume you've already done some kind of research about the game, but if you guys got any questions regarding game mechanics or whatnot, feel free to ask anytime.

See you in game /no1

#4 CaptShunsui

CaptShunsui

Captain Shunsui

• Player
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:50 PM

Heyo,

Nice to see someone completely new to Ragnarok! I assume you've already done some kind of research about the game, but if you guys got any questions regarding game mechanics or whatnot, feel free to ask anytime.

See you in game /no1

Thank you.  /meow  I've done some good research but I've got lots of questions as well. /heh 

The main wall I keep hitting is the difference in mechanics between the so called 'Classic' and 'Renewal' modes.  /swt

#5 CaptShunsui

CaptShunsui

Captain Shunsui

• Player
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 12:52 PM

Hahaha  /heh

I'll be sure to give every bit of interesting detail I come across!  /no1

#6 Aurora

Aurora

|・ω・) il padrino

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Locationhttp://tiny.cc/wlla

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:07 PM

Hey! Welcome to Leika! Get ready to meet some cool-rebellious-people and some old-nagging-players-that-are-kinda-nice-when-you-talk-to-them 9.9

You can find me in-game as Aurora, Mizuki, Layla or Clarissa if you want to lvl up or make hats >w</

• CaptShunsui likes this

#7 Sylphid

Sylphid

Elementalist

• Player
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:30 PM

The main wall I keep hitting is the difference in mechanics between the so called 'Classic' and 'Renewal' modes.  /swt

Renewal is basically an expansion (huge patch) to Ragnarok that brought a lot of new content and some mechanic changes. Most notably the introduction of the 3rd classes and new areas.  Some people seem to dislike renewal because it introduced some balancing issues, which in my opinion is not really that much of an issue anymore (and it's not like classic is perfectly balanced anyway). Personally I've played a lot of both classic and renewal, and I would definitely recommend renewal over classic, so I think you've made a good choice /ok .

Renewal also introduced some odd mechanics like players receiving higher drop rate and experience from mobs within a certain level range. This is not something that most people are very fond of, and it has thankfully been removed from this server. Meaning that you can potentially kill strong enemies and receive experience correspondingly (altough you can't really 'power level' since exp share/quest kills only works within 30 levels), as well as you can farm low level mobs without having to worry about being ineffective because you don't have double drop rate.

There are tons of more minor differences between the two, so I'm not gonna list everything. There was previously a large list of all changes on irowiki, but sadly I can't seem to find it anymore.

#8 CaptShunsui

CaptShunsui

Captain Shunsui

• Player
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

Renewal also introduced some odd mechanics like players receiving higher drop rate and experience from mobs within a certain level range. This is not something that most people are very fond of, and it has thankfully been removed from this server.

Does this mean, some old leveling methods like 'sniping' higher level plants/monsters while being a lower level work in this server?

My searches return guides not adhering properly to the 'Renewal' mode as people seem to have little clarity on where to level as much as they did on the 'Classic' mode. Once they reach a certain X level (depending on the server, rates, community, etc) the leveling places seem to get a bit chaotic at best and slowly those who are used to doing things in a certain way for a long time, start getting lost and getting to that final level gets tricky. There are tons of guides referring places and maps to level for all classes; but they are not relevant for the Renewal servers. Perhaps that is one of the reasons players who rely on the PVM part of the game mostly lose interest...  /hmm

On the other hand, the Third Job classes and the Second-level-Expanded-Classes (whew) provide a rather diverse PvP experience. I mean PvP as in everything (1-1, G-G, All-out-Wars). It will be interesting to check out how we go about making till that stage.  /gg

This will be a really exciting venture indeed...

#9 Terpsichore

Terpsichore

why

• The Devil
  • 1042 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

Monsters give up to 40% increased experience (if they're 10 levels higher than you), the same way it worked pre-renewal.
  • CaptShunsui likes this

#10 morakes

morakes

Chonchon

• Player
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:41 PM

Leika he youkoso! Kikitai koto ga attara, hanase! And if you can't understand japanese, welcome and if you need anything, just ask :)

• CaptShunsui likes this

#11 Sylphid

Sylphid

Elementalist

• Player
  • 42 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

Does this mean, some old leveling methods like 'sniping' higher level plants/monsters while being a lower level work in this server?

Yeah, killing immobile monsters, such as plants should work, altough I think it actually won't be as effective because of the high hp/flee on higher leveled monsters. You'd need high hit (dex) in able to deal damage to them effectively. The best way to level, in my opinion, is to complete the eden board/prontera mission board quests. However, I usually only start with the eden quests once I hit level 71+, as you can level pretty fast just by killing mobs up to that point. Then once you are able to, you can start killing some low-mid tier MvP's to mix things up, and to potentially get some usefull equipment in the process.

Here's a very rough sketch of how I usually go about leveling. I'm not saying this is the best way or anything, and it is also very situational depending on your class/equipment etc. So don't follow this blindly. I definitely encourage you to explore and try different quests/methods/areas, as there are a myriad of different places to level.

• Lvl 1-15: Any low level area such as outside Prontera/Geffen/Payon
  • Lvl 16-40: Payon dungeon F1 (and possibly F2 after that)
  • Lvl 40-70: Orc dungeon F1, very mobby place, use AoE's! (might want to go somewhere else towards the higher levels)
  • Lvl 71-99: Eden quest boards, prontera mission board, and also Eden group equipment
  • Lvl 100-175: Continue with eden/mission board quests, kill MvP's, do instances etc..

I didn't go too much into details as I don't want to give away the whole exploration experience, but it will hopefully give you some tips in case you're completely lost on what to do.

One of the key differences compared to a lot of other renewal servers (altough I think it's becoming more common) is that eden boards cover the full level range (up to 175). On many servers it doesn't go above lvl 100, which leads to the only viable option for leveling is to kill MvP's to level 175, and that can quickly get tedious.

• CaptShunsui likes this

#12 CaptShunsui

CaptShunsui

Captain Shunsui

• Player
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 04:44 PM

Leika he youkoso! Kikitai koto ga attara, hanase! And if you can't understand japanese, welcome and if you need anything, just ask :)

I do, to an extent. Not extensively though. My knowledge is limited by how much Anime I've watched.  /heh  /scissors

Yoroshiku onega ishimas!!! 

On many servers it doesn't go above lvl 100, which leads to the only viable option for leveling is to kill MvP's to level 175, and that can quickly get tedious.

I can see how this will happen all too often. /ok

Monsters give up to 40% increased experience (if they're 10 levels higher than you), the same way it worked pre-renewal.

I see. I'll read more in depth on this when I get time.

Edited by CaptShunsui, 16 March 2015 - 04:46 PM.

#13 CaptShunsui

CaptShunsui

Captain Shunsui

• Player
  • 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:33 PM

The first entry has been posted here.

16-03-2015

[NiHZ edit to make your link work]

#14 Rueska

Rueska

ice ice baby

• Player
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:21 PM

Seems interesting :>

Welcome to the server~ If you have any questions, I'm here too, and I'll try my best to help :3

Cya in game~

#15 Scias

Scias

Hell Fly

• Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 01:03 AM

Hi. You've replaced Juve as storyteller.
  • CaptShunsui likes this

#16 CaptShunsui

CaptShunsui

Captain Shunsui

• Player
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 05:23 AM

Seems interesting :>

Welcome to the server~ If you have any questions, I'm here too, and I'll try my best to help :3

Cya in game~

Thank you. I'll definitely give a holler if I see you in game. 

#17 Terpsichore

Terpsichore

why

• The Devil
  • 1042 posts

Posted 01 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

I wonder what happened to these guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users